History of School & College
It was the year 1883 when the Bangladeshi mission of Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions was born. It all began with a group of five valiant missionaries who, accompanied by our Foundress, Mother Euphrasie Barbier set out to answer the call of the Benedictine Monk, Bishop Ballsieper, for the presence and work of Missionary Sisters in his diocese. Euphrasie Barbier was born into a modest family in the west of France. It was into this family of ‘the industrious lower middle class’ that was traditionally hard-working, and had a respect for values, which were solidly based in the Catholic faith, that Euphrasie Barbier was born. Euphrasie was not only influenced by her family and her immediate environment, but also by the ecclesiastical and religious environment of the time. Euphrasie Barbier gave of herself unsparingly, as she prepared for the great journey, which began in February 1883, and which led her, in the first instance, to the East, taking with her the team of five Sisters assigned for the foundation in Chittagong. Bishop Ballsieper had inherited two houses from his predecessors and the larger of these he gave to the Sisters until he could build them a more suitable dwelling. The Sisters found the climate extremely irritating and at the same time they had to cope with many experiences very unusual for them. However, notwithstanding all the difficulties inseparable from new foundations, Mother Mary and her five companions – Mother Mary of the Sacred Heart, Mother Mary of the Nativity, Sisters Mary St. Philip, Mary St. Stanislaus and Mary St. Verona lost no time in setting to work to establish everything religiously and to commence their mission which called them to Bengal. To keep a school it was necessary for the Sisters to know the languages of the country and by April 24th, they were giving their first catechism classes. They opened a free school with two classes. One month later they opened a fee-paying school, for slightly better off families and in addition they offered training to young engaged girls. In 1886, when Mother Foundress revisited the mission she found the situation much developed through the hard work of the Sisters and the co-operation of the people who accepted them wholeheartedly. The school has marched onward and in the course of time, today’s St. Scholastica’s Girls’ School & College is on the scene. At present the institution is one of the bests in the country.